[HAM] PEACHES EN REGALIA

MarkTii at aol.com MarkTii at aol.com
Sat Jan 21 15:30:40 CST 2006

Well, to begin with:

1.  Short answer:  Released by Zappa in 1969 on his Hot Rats  album, recorded
without the full Mothers of Invention.  The musicians on  Peaches were:

____________________________________

_Frank  Zappa_
(http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/albums/musicians/Frank_Zappa.html)  (_guitar_
(http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/albums/instruments/guitar.html) ,  _octave  bass_
(http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/albums/instruments/octave_bass.html) , _percussion_
(http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/albums/instruments/percussion.html) )
_Ian  Underwood_
(http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/albums/musicians/Ian_Underwood.html)  (_piano_
(http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/albums/instruments/piano.html) ,  _organus  maximus_
(http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/albums/instruments/organus_maximus.html) , _clarinet_
(http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/albums/instruments/clarinet.html) ,  _saxophone_
(http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/albums/instruments/saxophone.html) )
_Ron  Selico_
(http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/albums/musicians/Ron_Selico.html)  (_drums_ (http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbe
rt/zappa/albums/instruments/drums.html) )
_Shuggy  Otis_
(http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/albums/musicians/Shuggy_Otis.html)  (_bass_
(http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/albums/instruments/bass.html) )

Shuggy Otis was the son of Johnny Otis, one of Zappa's favorite  musicians.

Very complicated and interesting arrangement. I have a full transcribed
score and WOW - a whole bunch of notes (and I am classically trained).   B3/C3
(Leslie chorale&fast) solo about 2/3 of the way through played by Ian  Underwood.
 Multilayered saxes, horns, guitars, synths, clarinets,  complicated rhythms
(triplets (sextuplets) running against sixteenths),  pentatonic scales -- very
dense parallel harmonies.  In some of the  passages sounds like a precursor
to the bar scene in Stars IV.  Zappa (with  the Mothers) played Peaches live
many times.  A great live version appears  on Zappa's "Live at the Fillmore
East" - the white album with "Don't Forget to  Vote" written in pencil on the
cover.  Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan aka  "Flo and Eddie" and Jim Pons, all from
the Turtles, are on this one -- and the  Mothers do a pretty hot live version
of "Happy Together" complete with a  great a cappella passage.  Now my wife
just told me that she thinks she  heard Paul S. play it on Letterman not too
long ago.

Google Zappa Peaches Regalia and you'll find several interesting references
and blogs including several downloads of the song.  If you haven't heard  it,
give it a shot.

2.  The meaning of the title.  Several rumors - one that I have  heard from
several sources is that "Peaches" was a cross-gender/transvestite who  wore,
well, "Regalia," but this is unconfirmed.  There are also apparently  a few
clothing stores that have used that name, but I am pretty sure they all  arose
years after the release of Zappa's "Peaches en Regalia."

Mark